Kerala Folklore Academi
|Kerala Folklore Academy|
Kerala Folklore Academi
Kerala Folklore Academy, an autonomous center for cultural affairs, is located in Kannur, Kannur District, Kerala. The institution was constituted by the Government of Kerala and works under the Cultural Affairs Department, Government of Kerala.
The institution provides economic aid to financially and physically weak artists. Economic aid programs and academic councils are conducted to promote the traditional Kerala art forms. The institution aims to promote and preserve the traditional art forms of Kerala. Kerala Folklore Akademi was constituted by the Government of Kerala on 28 June 1995 under the Cultural Affairs Department, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum. The Institution was formed under the Travancore Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Registration Act of 1955. It began functioning on 20 January 1996. The Academy promotes most of the ritual artforms of Kerala, such as theyyam , Kolam Thullal, Garudan Hanging and Chavittu Nadakam.
The main objectives of the Academy are:
- Promoting the traditional art forms of Kerala.
- Providing training for boys and girls in traditional art forms.
- Recording these arts scientifically and classify them categorically.
- Prepare records of these art forms after conducting fundamental survey.
- Publish Folklore Directory and Folklore Encyclopedia.
- Establish folklore museum, and archives.
- Collect and publish traditional stories and songs which are passed from people to people in colloquial language, verbally.
- Evolve new art forms from the traditional arts without losing its original rhythm and music.
- Honor leading artists by giving awards and fellowships.
- Give awards to high quality research publications on these arts.
- Start and maintain a publication for folklore.
- Sponsor festivals in the field of folklore arts.
- Arrange performance by the troupes of the Academy inside and outside the state.
- Promote interstate cultural exchange program and thereby contribute to the emotional integration of India.
- Perform other additional functions that may be entrusted to the Academy by the government time to time.
- Give grants and financial assistance to institutions that impart training in the folk arts and also organizations that conduct performances in the said arts.
- Establishing folklore library.