|University of Kerala||University of Kerala,|
|Telephone||0471-2305738 , 0471-2305994 ,2306422 (16 Lines)|
|Fax ||91-471 2307158|
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY
The University of Travancore which eventually became the University of Kerala was established in 1937 by a promulgation of the Maharaja of Travancore, Sri Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma who was also the first Chancellor of the University. Sir C. P Ramaswamy Ayyar, the then Diwan of the State, was the first Vice-Chancellor. It was the sixteenth University to be set up in India and ten Colleges within the State of Travancore which were affiliated to the Madras University became the affiliated colleges of the University of Travancore.
In 1957, the Kerala University Act, Act 14 of 1957, was brought into force and the University of Travancore was renamed University of Kerala. The University had three campuses located in three different parts of the State viz. Thiruvananthapuram, Ernakulam and Kozhikode. In 1968, the University Centre at Kozhikode became a full -fledged University covering the Colleges and Departments located in Thrissur, Palakkad, Kozhikode and Kannur Districts of Kerala. The Cochin University of Science and Technology and the Kerala Agricultural University were set up in 1971 and in 1983, the Mahatma Gandhi University was established. With the establishment of these Universities, the area of the jurisdiction of the University of Kerala has been limited to Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Alappuzha Districts and some parts of Pathanamthitta District.
At present, the University has sixteen faculties and 41 departments of teaching and research. There are 157 affiliated colleges. Of these, 46 are aided Arts and Science colleges and 14 are unaided . There are two Law colleges, 17 Engineering colleges (of which 14 are unaided), four Medical Colleges (two are self financing) seven aided Teachers ' Training colleges, 30 unaided Teacher Training Colleges, four Ayurveda colleges, two Homeopathy colleges, one Sidha Medical College, two Fine Arts Colleges, one Music College, three Dental colleges (of which two are unaided), four unaided Pharmacy colleges and one college of Physical Education. Besides these, there are four affiliated institutions conducting two year full time MBA course, five colleges offering MCA and ten Nursing colleges, all in the unaided sector. The University 's Engineering College in Kariavattom campus offers courses like Information Technology, Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication etc...
The University Departments offer a wide range of teaching and research at post-graduate, M.Phil. and Ph.D. levels. The courses in the Departments are conducted in the Credit and Semester System . The University has also extended the Semester System to all the Post Graduate courses from 2001. At present, about 32 colleges offer post graduate teaching programmes. Some of the affiliated colleges offer
M. Phil. courses and some colleges have been recognised as research centres. The University has also recognised a number of other institutions as research centres. All these institutions conform to the aims and objectives of the University and its programme of teaching and research.
The University 's colleges of Teacher Education (launched in 1990-91), offer B.Ed. with an intake of 180 students in each of the ten centres. The eight University Institutes of Technology offer courses like Computer Science, Electronics, Business Administration etc., Two centres conduct M. Sc. Computer Science and one UIT offers MBA.
The Institute of Distance Education caters to the needs of thousands who wish to enroll for different courses. In addition to the traditional degree and post - graduate courses, the Institute now runs degree courses like Computer Science and Computer Application. With the abolition of Private Registration in the post-graduate level, the Institute of Distance Education now offers all the PG courses which were once offered privately. As a result, the enrolment in the institute has grown threefold.
In addition to the Departments of teaching, the University also has several centres for studies and research in special areas. The International Centre for Kerala Studies, the Centre for Canadian Studies, the Centre for Australian Studies, the Centre for Comparative Literature, Sree Narayana Study Centre, Centre for English Language Teaching, Centre for Vedanta Studies, V.K. Krishna Menon Study Centre, Christian Study Centre for Cultural and Social Change and Centre for Gandhian Studies are functioning under the University. It has also been decided to start an Ambedkar Study Centre.
The Academic Staff College set up with UGC aid, offers orientation and refresher courses to the teachers in affiliated colleges. It has been rated as the best in the country.
The Oriental Research Institute and Manuscripts Library, which has an invaluable collection of rare and precious manuscripts, has been made the State Nodal Agency for the preservation and documentation of manuscripts. A Digital Heritage Archiving Centre also functions in the Library.
The Department of Publications, one of the oldest Departments of the University, has brought out a series of glossaries in science subjects, popular science books and translations of classics. The five volume Kerala Sahitya Charithram written by Mahakavi Ulloor S. Parameswara Ayyar and the series Sahithya Nayakanmar (Men of Letters) are some of the most prestigious publications of the Department. The Chitra Ramayana, based on palm - leaf manuscripts, is another notable publication. The University has also published the first ever complete English translation of Hortus Malabaricus, the classical treatise on the plant wealth of Asia and the tropics, in 2003.
The seven volumes of the proposed eleven-volume Malayalam Lexicon have been released so far. The University has been publishing since 1946 the Journal of Indian History, a significant publication on historical studies and research. A quarterly newsletter entitled The University Herald is also published.
The Observatory, founded by Maharaja Swathi Thirunal in 1837, opens a world of celestial wonders to the students, through the computer-aided lectures and the facilities for star-gazing.
The University of Kerala has the honour of being the first University in India to ensure participation of students in the University Syndicate. The Academic Council and the Senate also have student members.
University Study Centres have been set up with UGC assistance, at Kollam, Alappuzha and Pandalam. These Centres cater to the needs of the students outside Thiruvananthapuram. Besides these, there are 13 Taluk Information Centres. The University also supplies information to students through the Helpdesks in affiliated colleges.
The Co-ordinator of the N.S.S programme and the Director of the Student Services organize youth welfare activities at the University level with the active co-operation of the University Students ' Union. The University Students ' Union has been very active since 1939 and has taken the initiative to offer to the students many community based and popular co-curricular activities. The University bagged the Indira Gandhi National Award for the best NSS activities in 2005
Department of Physical Education has gifted to the country outstanding sportsmen and women. The University is now planning to renovate the synthetic track of the University Stadium with Governmental assistance. The establishment of the Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education at Kariavattom, managed by the Government of India, is another land mark in the history of the University. Another significant development is the starting of several short term courses like TV News reading, Functional English, etc... in the Centre for Adult Continuing Education and Extension. This has enabled the University to realise the dream of €˜further education of the educated '. The CACEE received the UNESCO- NLM award for literacy in 2005.
During 1997, the University celebrated its Diamond Jubilee. The celebration involved the starting of new teaching Departments and setting up of new buildings like the International Youth Hostel at Thiruvananthapuram. On 28th December 2000, the University conferred the Honorary Degree of D. Litt. on Nobel Laureate Prof. Amartya Sen. The other scholars honoured recently through the conferment of D. Litt. are Dr. K. J. Yesudas and Dr. Laurie Baker (2003).
The University's Web site www.keralauniveristy.edu launched in January 2000, offers several services like downloadable application forms, question papers of past examinations, free resource links, subject gateway, etc,... The daily press releases and results of examinations are published on the site. The University also issues Degree Certificates with Hologram and over 112 security features. The Interactive Voice Response System helps students to get information over telephone.
The University of Kerala has widened its horizons by entering into academic cooperation with some foreign Universities like Valladolid of Spain and Claremont of the United States of America. The UGC has identified the University as one of the 26 institutions selected for promotion of India Studies by foreign students. The National Assessment and Accreditation Committee has placed the University at the B++ grade.
Institutions under University of Kerala
University Departments of Teaching & Research
1. Department of Aquatic Biology & Research
2. Department of Archaeology
3. Department of Biochemistry
4. Department of Biotechnology
5. Department of Botany
6. Department of Chemistry
7. Department of Commerce
8. Department of Communication & Journalism
9. Department of Computer Science
10. Department of Demography
11. Department of Economics
12. Department of Education
13. Institute of English
14. Department of Environmental Sciences
15. Department of Future Studies
16. Department of Geology
17. Department of German
18. Department of Hindi
19. Department of History
20. Institute of Distance Education
21. Institute of Management in Kerala (IMK)
22. Department of Law
23. Department of Library & Information Science
24. Department of Linguistics
25. Department of Malayalam
26. Department of Mathematics
27. Department of Music
28. Department of Optoelectronics
29. Oriental Research Institute & Manuscripts Library
30. Department of Philosophy
31. Department of Physics
32. Department of Political Science
33. Department of Psychology
34. Department of Russian
35. Department of Sanskrit
36. Department of Sociology
37. Department of Statistics
38. Department of Tamil
39. Department of Zoology
40. Department of Distance Education
41. Department of Archaeology
1. Academic Staff College
2. Department of Publications
3. Department of Malayalam Lexicon
4. Department of Student Services
5. Department of Physical Education
6. Computer Centre
7. National Service Scheme
8. Shramik Vidyapeeth, Thiruvananthapuram
9. University Press
Centres of University
1. International Centre for Kerala Studies
2. Sree Narayana Centre for Social Change
3. Centre for Comparative Literature
4. Survey Research Centre
5. Centre for Gandhian Studies
6. Centre for Australian Studies
7. Centre for English Language Teaching
8. Centre for Canadian Studies
9. Centre for Women's Studies
10. Centre for Vedanta Studies
11. Population Research Centre
12. Centre for Adult Continuing Education & Extension (CACEE)
13. University Observatory
14. University Service and Instrumentation Centre (USIC)
15. University Health Centre, Kariavattom
16. Centre for Teaching Education
17. University Institutes of Technology
18. University Employment Information and Guidance Bureau
19. University Health Centre
Professional Colleges / Arts & Science Colleges
Arts & Science Colleges
1. All Saints ' College, Thiruvananthapuram
2. Christian College Kattakada
3. Govt. Women's College, Thiruvananthapuram
4. Govt. Arts College, Thiruvananthapuram
5. Government College Attingal
6. Government College, Nedumangad,Thiruvananthapuram
7. Govt. Sanskrit College, Thiruvananthapuram
8. Iqbal College, Peringamala
9. K.N.M. Government Arts and Science College, Kanjiramkulam
10. Loyola College of Social Science, Thiruvananthapuram
11. H.H.M.S.P.B.N.S.S. College for Women, Neeramankara,Thiruvananthapuram
12. Mahatma Gandhi College, Thiruvanathapuram
13. Mar Ivanios College Thiruvananthapuram
14. Sree Narayana College, Chempazhanthy,Thiruvananthapuram
15. Sree Narayana College, Sivagiri, Varkala, Thiruvananthapuram
16. St.Xavier's College, Thumba, Thiruvananthapuram
17. University College, Thiruvananthapuram
18. Government College, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram
19. V.T.M.N.S.S. College, Dhanuvachapuram
20 Mannaniya College of Arts & Science, Pangode, Thiruvananthapuram
21.Haji C.H. Mohamed Koya College for Advance Studies, Thiruvananthapuram
22. A. J. College of Science & Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
23. Sree Sankara Vidhyapeetom College, Nagaroor
24. Emmanuel College Vazhichal, Thiruvananthapuram
25. National College, Manacaud, Thiruvananthapuram
26. Devaswom Board College, Sasthamkottah
27. Fathima Mata National College Kollam
28. Government College, Chavara
29. Mammam Memorial N.S.S. College, Kottiyam
30. N.S.S. College, Nilamel
31. Sree Narayana College, Chathannur
32. Sree Narayana College, Kollam
33. Sree Narayana College for Women, Kollam
34. Sree Narayana College, Punalur
35. St. Gregorius College, Kottarakara
36. St. John's College, Anchal
37. St.Stephen's College, Pathanapuram
38. Thangal Kunju Musaliar College of Arts & Science, Kollam
39. Sree Vidyadhiraja College, Thevarcavu, Karunagappally
40. Bishop Moore College, Mavelikara
41. Milad-e-Sherief Memorial College, Kayamkulam
42. N.S.S. College, Cherthala
43. Sree Narayana College, Chertala
44. St. Joseph's College for Women, Alappuzha
45. St.Michael's College, Cherthala
46. T.K.Madhava Memorial College, Nangiarkulangara
47. Sree Ayyappa College, Thiruvanvandoor
48. K.V.V.S. College of Science & Technology, Adoor
49. N.S.S. College, Pandalam
50. St. Cyril's College, Adoor
1. College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram
2. Sree Chitra Thirunal College of Engineering, Pappanamcode
3. Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram
4. Government Dental College, Thiruvananthapuram
5. Government Homeopathic Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram
6. Government Law College, Thiruvananthapuram
7. Kerala Law Academy Law College, Thiruvananthapuram
8. College of Fine Arts, Thiruvananthapuram
9. Lekshmibai National College of Physical Education, Kariavattom
10. Government Training College, Thiruvananthapuram
11. Mar Theophilus Training College, Thiruvananthapuram
12. National Training College for Women, Nedumangad
13. Sree Narayana Training College, Nedunganda
14. C.S.I College of Education, Parasala
15. National Training College, Pravachambalam
16. T.K.M. College of Engineering, Kollam
17. Karmala Rani Training College, Kollam
18. Mount Tabor Training College, Pathanapuram
19. Mannam Memorial Training College, Vilakudy
20.Fathima Memorial Training College, Kollam
21. T.D Medical College, Alappuzha
22. Peet Memorial training College, Mavelikara
23. NSS training College, Pandalam
24. IHRDE Centre, Adoor
25. Govt. Ayurveda College, Thiruvananthapuram
Recognised Research Centres other than University Departments
of the University of Kerala
1. Central Institute of Fishery Technology, Willington Island, Ernakulam.
2. T. D. Medical College, Biochemistry Department, Alappuzha.
3. Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Vizhinjam.
4. Central Electro Chemical Research Institute, Karakudi.
5. Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Sreekaryam, Thiruvananthapuram.
6. Mitraniketan, Vellanad, Thiruvananthapuram.
7. Union Christian College, Department of Botany, Aluva.
8. Centre for Development Studies, Ulloor, Thiruvananthapuram.
9. Electronics Research & Development Centre, (Keltron), Vellayambalam, Tvpm.
10. C. M. S College, Kottayam (Dept. of Botany & Chemistry).
11. Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research, Thiruvananthapuram.
12. St. Thomas College, Palai, Hindi Department.
13. Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram (Dept. of Zoology & Chemistry).
14. Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore.
15. Regional Research Laboratory, (CSIR) Thiruvananthapuram.
16. Solar Physics Observatory, Kodaikanal, Indian Institute of Astro Physics.
17. National Institute of Nutrition, Jamal, Osmania P.O., Hyderbad - 500 007.
18. Cancer Institute, Madras - 600 020.
19. Regional Research Laboratory, Hyderabad.
20. Institute of Tropical Meterorology, Pune.
21. Atomic Energy Establishment, Trombay.
22. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal (Dept. of Biochemistry).
23. Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram.
24. College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram.
25. V.S.S.C Thiruvananthapuram.
26. M.G. College, Thiruvananthapuram.
Department of Physics.
'' " Zoology.
'' " Botany.
'' " Malayalam.
'' " Commerce.
27. Institute of Management in Government, Barton Hill, Thiruvananthapuram.
28. The Rubber Research Institute, Kottayam - 9.
29. Indian Institute for Regional Development Studies, Pularikunnu, Kottayam.
30. Central Plantation Crops Research Institute, Kasargod & Kayamkulam.
31. Centre for Earth Science Studies, Aakkulam, Thiruvananthapuram.
32. Tropical Botanical Garden and Research Institute, Palode, Thiruvananthapuram.
33. Forensic Sciences Lab., Thiruvananthapuram - 10.
34. Loyola College of Social Sciences, Sreekariyam, Thiruvananthapuram, Dept. of Sociology.
35. University College, Thiruvananthapuram.
Department of Physics
'' " Chemistry
'' " Zoology
'' " Mathematics
'' " Botany
'' " Philosophy
'' " Political Science
'' " History
'' " Malayalam
'' " Tamil
'' " Arabic
'' " English
'' " Hindi
36. College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram
Department of Physics
'' " Chemistry
'' " Philosophy
'' " Zoology
'' " Music
'' " Hindi
'' " Malayalam
37. Department of Zoology, F. M . N. College, Kollam
38. Lal Bahadur Sastri Centre for Science & Technology, Nandavanam, Tvpm.
39. Hindi Research Centre, Kerala Hindi Prachar Sabha, Thiruvananthapuram
40. Department of Zoology, NSS College, Pandalam
41. Department of English, All Saints College, Thiruvananthapuram
42. Departments of Chemistry, English, Hindi, Physics, Botany & Politics, Commerce, S. N. College, Kollam.
43. Centre for Development of Education Science and Technology, Sasthamangalam, Thiruvananthapuram.*
44. State Nutrition Laboratory, Red Cross Road, Thiruvananthapuram.
45. Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (CDIT), Chitranjali Studio Complex, Tvpm.
46. Kerala State Drugs & Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Kalavoor, Alappuzha.
47. Govt. Sanskrit College, Thiruvananthapuram.
48. The Quilon Public Library, Kollam (Social Sciences - Languages, Malayalam & Hindi)
49. Department of Botany, Zoology, SD College, Alappuzha
50. Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Bio-Technology, Jagathy, Thiruvananthapuram.
51. Dept. of Physics & Commerce, Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram.
52. Dept. of Commerce, FMN College, Kollam.
53. Sukritindra Oriental Research Institute, Thammanam, Ernakulam
54. Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi.
55. Dept. of Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, TKM College of Engineering, Kollam.
56. Dept. of Zoology, St. Stephens College, Pathanapuram.
57. LNCPE, Kariavattom (Physical Education)
* Renamed as Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Education, Science & Technology
For more information, visit: www.keralauniversity.ac.in