State Institute of Rural Development (SIRD)
|State Institute of Rural Development (SIRD)||State Institute of Rural Development (SIRD)|
ETC P.O, Kottarakara,
Pin code: 691531,
|Telephone:||91-0474- 2454618, 2454169, 2454768|
Fax : 91-0474-454169
Organisation & Organisational Structure
State Institute of Rural Development (SIRD), Kerala is an autonomous institution formed under Rural Development Department, Government of Kerala and registered under the Travancore Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Act 1955.
The SIRD policy is formulated and determined by a board of Governors under the Chairmanship of the Hon'ble Minister for Rural Development, Government of Kerala. The Board of Governors is vested with the powers necessary for the superintendence and management of the Institute in accordance with the rules framed for the purpose. Present structure of the body is as follows:
Board of Governors
- Chairman-(Minister for Rural Development, Kerala)
- Vice-Chairman-(Principal Secretary, LSG (RD) Department, Government of Kerala)
- Secretary to Government, Finance Department
- Director, IMG, Thiruvananthapuram
- Representative of Ministry of RD, Government of India
- Representative of NIRD
- District Collector, Kollam
- Commissioner for Rural Development
- Director, SIRD (Convener).
The Management and administration of SIRD is vested with an Executive Committee headed by the Principal Secretary, Rural Development Department.
- Executive Committee
- Principal secretary, Local Self Government (RD) Department
- Commissioner for Principal Secretary to Director
- Rural Development Government SIRD
- Finance Department (Convener)
SIRD's day to day Academic and Administrative Activities are steered by the Director an officer is the rank of Additional Development Commissioner, Rural Development Department assisted by a Secretary, in the rank of Deputy Development Commissioner and an Office Manager with supporting staff.
Mission and objectives
Imparts training on multi-faceted disciplines namely Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Human Resources Development, Poverty Alleviation, Women Empowerment, Watershed Development, Decentralized Planning, Consumer Protection, Human rights etc. to officials, Peoples representatives NGOs and PRI personel. Besides, SIRD imparts Computer Training to RD officials.
1. State Institute of Rural Development undertakes research and Project Works:
- to evolve ideas and concepts appropriate for rural development activities and to formulate policy alternatives.
- to bring about development in the sphere of appropriate technology for strengthening the qualitative aspects of the production of rural artisans.
- to create an awareness of the potentialities of modern management service as a major instrument for rural development.
- to take up such other programmers incidental to rural development as may be found necessary from time to time
- Apex training institute for the RD Department, Government of Kerala.
- Monitors and supervises the delivery of various Rural-training Institutes under RD Development
- Undertakes research and consultancy assignments with social orientation and commitment.
- Has a linkage with national and international organisations including UNICEF, UNDP, NIRD etc in research, training and consultancy
- Undertakes advisory functions for streamlining RD Programmers by organising policy, research and studies.
SIRD is located in a calm, serene, surroundings in the vicinity of ETC Campus at Kottarakara. The campus is about 5 KMs away from KSRTC bus station, Kottarkara along the Kottaraka-Oyoor Road in Kollam District of Kerala.
SIRD Kerala is the state's apex body undertaking multifaceted disciplines which truly reflect the commitment of the Institute to the changing social, financial, administrative and environmental output requirements. Adequate focus has also been given to our traditional thrust areas like Decentralised Planning, Women Empowerment, Panchayati Raj etc.
The SIRD, Kerala, has close linkages with the National Institute of Rural Development, Hyderabad, MANAGE, Hyderabad, UNICEF, SIRDs of other states, CAPART etc.
The SIRD has a faculty of well experienced experts in the fields like Public Administration, Rural Economics, Sociology, Rural Development and Management. In addition to the core faculty, the institution draws support form experts of Government departments and educational /training institutions.
Achievements/Progress Reports/Application Forms
By this time, SIRD completed seventeen research works and five research/Project works are going on now.
An Accadamic committee with thirteen eminent personalities constituted to SIRD to look into the training and research activities of the Institute.
The SIRD Library has a 3800 volumes of valuable books on rural development, poverty alleviation, decentralised planning, women development, management, entrepreneurship development etc. The Library subscribes to more than 24 periodicals and five popular magazines on Rural Development. The Library offers its services to researchers, SIRD trainees and other students and research scholars form various colleges and Universities who are doing studies on the different areas of rural development.
(2) Class room & Hostel
The Institute has the facility to conduct 4 Nos. of trainings simultaneously in the 4 well-equipped classroom including one AC room for video conferencing. It has a hostel building which can accommodate 50 trainees at a time. Government of India has sanctioned found for construction of another hostel block. The construction of the new hostel block will be started on.
SIRD introduced training programmes in Computer Applications for Government officials during 2001-02. The programmes are (1) a basic introductory training programme for two weeks and (ii) a refresher
training for four days.
SIRD publishes a bi-monthly periodical, the SIRD Newsletter in Malayalam. It contains articles on RD, success stories, in-house news, state-wise development, reports etc. Apart from the newsletter, SIRD regularly publishes the findings of research works taken up by the Institution.
SIRD, Kerala is one of the few institutions where Government of India have installed video-conference facility. The objective of this facility is to widen the reach and coverage of training. Faculties of NIRD, MANAGE etc. regularly use this medium to address the participants of this Institute.