- Where is Law Department located?
Law Department is located in the main block of the Secretariat building which is in the southern side of the Durbar Hall. A section of the Law (Suits) Department and Law records are functioning in the Secretariat Annex Building.
- Who is the Head of the Department?
The Head of the Department is the Law Secretary. At present Sri.S. Sainudeen is the Law Secretary.
- Where is the office of the Law Secretary situated?
The Office of the Law Secretary is situated in the First Floor, Main Block of the Secretariat Building. Telephone: Office â€“ 2332955 , 2518383
- How many sections are there in Law Department?
There are at present 30 Sections in Law Department
- What are the main functions of Law Department?
The business of Law Department consists of-
1. General Administration of the Department
2. Drafting, which includes Legislative Project, Legislation and Unification of Laws
3. Legal Advice
4. Subsidiary Legislation
6. Conveyancing and
Appointment of Government Law Officers, appointment and removal of notaries, administration of Personal Laws and the Court Fees and Suits Valuation Act are also the main functions of Law Department.
- What is the u.r.l. of the Website of Law Department?
The Website of Law Department is available for logging at the url. www.keralalawsect.org.
- To whom the regular mail to the Department is to be addressed?
The Law Secretary,
- Whether the Law Department is in respect of Legislations an originating or initiating Department?
No. The function of the Law Department with regard to the preparation of Legislation is to put into technical shape the Projects of legislation of which the policy has been approved by the Government.
However, Personal law measures designed solely to codify and consolidate existing enactments and legislation of a formal character such as repealing and Amending Bills are initiated in the Law Department.
- What are the important Publications of Law Department?
The list of Enactments Applicable to Kerala, the Acts and Ordinances of Kerala, the Kerala Code and Index to Statutory Rules and Notifications of Kerala are the most important Publications of Law Department.
- Are the Publications of Law Department available Free of cost to the Public?
The publications of Law Department like Kerala Code are priced Publications and can be purchased from the Government Press, Thiruvananthapuram except the Acts and Ordinances of Kerala which is meant for office use only. However, the same are available for reference purposes in the Law (Legislation â€“ Publication) DepartmentÂ and in the Kerala State Law Department Library.
- Which Section in Law Department can make available a Gazette Copy of the latest State Enactment?
The Law (Legislation) Sections, in accordance with the subject dealt with by them, can make available a Gazette copy of the latest State Enactment.
- Whether Law Department is an authority on the Rules issued under State Enactments?
No. The rules are issued by the concerned Administrative Department in the Secretariat once an Act is enacted. This Department is an authority only on State Acts.
- From Where can it be ascertained that how many Amendments have been effected to particular State enactment and in which year the Amending Act was passed?
The list of Enactments which is a publication of the Law Department contains all the above information.
- What is Kerala Code?
The Kerala Code is a Publication of Law Department embodying the statute Laws of Kerala, the first volume of which was published in the year 1965. Five volumes of the code have been published covering enactments up to the year 1990.
As distinguished from this publication, the Law Portal in the Website of Law Department is also named â€˜Kerala Codeâ€™. It is intended to include up-to-date State Enactments in force in the State and also Rules issued there under.
- Is â€˜Kerala Codeâ€™ a separate part of the Website of Law Department?
No. Kerala Code is an integral part of Law Departmentâ€™s Website.
- Are all Kerala Acts and Rules available at present in the â€˜Kerala Codeâ€™?
No. The process of including Acts and Rules in the â€˜Kerala Codeâ€™ is in progress. The 'Kerala Codeâ€™ will be complete with in a year.
- Can print outs of Acts and Rules available in the â€˜Kerala Codeâ€™ be taken by a viewer?
No restriction is imposed at present for downloading them and taking Print outs.
- Whether E-Mail facility is provided for giving constructive suggestions by the viewer?
Yes, Viewers are requested to click â€˜feed Backâ€™ and avail this facility either in the Home Page or from any page in the â€˜Kerala Codeâ€™.
- Is there any facility to view the latest legislative measures of Kerala Government?
Yes. The option â€˜Latest in Legislationâ€™ Provides the Solution for this.
- Is there any short cut to surf the whole Act/Rule/Amendment Quickly?
Yes. By using the side menu option a viewer can go any where in the Act contents, Rules and Amendments without scrolling the whole text of the Act.